Earlier this week I unveiled my Big Idea - that my secret dream (yes, after all the money I spent on grad school for counseling), is to own a quaint little cottage style wedding venue on beautifully landscaped grounds that would allow NYC/ Long Island couples with a modest budget to have a unique, creative, simple, and beautiful wedding.
Part of my plan is to have a list of vendor resources for people on a 5k, 10k, or 15k budget. And so I'm wondering how frugal couples might respond if I suggested that they hire local college students to provide certain services.
I should clarify that by college student I'm not talking about those of the class-skipping, boob-flashing, marijuana-for-breakfast kind. I'm talking about highly motivated students who are responsible, mature, and eager to practice their creative craft.
So. Would you consider hiring a college student to do any of the following:
- Man your iPod DJ booth (a music major)
- Photograph your wedding (a photography major)
- Videotape your wedding (a film major)
- Provide live music (students in the school orchestra, a cappella group, or jazz band)
- Be your day-of coordinator (education or business major)