Image: One Love Photo

UPDATE!

I have expanded this blog into a website that deals with similar themes (Balance, Beauty, Balls!), but addresses life beyond wedding planning. Click HERE to check it out. See you soon!

Friday, June 4, 2010

#16: Our Song: Falling Slowly



Brian and I will be doing our little 8th-grader-slow-dancey-wedding-sway to the song "Falling Slowly". It's a tune from the incredible independent film Once, which won lots of awards back in 2007. We saw this movie in the theater and adored its simple yet moving love story between 2 singer-songwriters. Oh, and the soundtrack? Amazing.

After we left the theater that night Brian said that he wanted me to teach him a little guitar so that we could write songs together, just like the couple in the film did. (I know- cute, right?) That never happened. (Though if it had we would totally have a record deal by now - or we'd at least be YouTube sensations.) Nevertheless, the movie and its soundtrack truly made an impact on us. And so you see... "Falling Slowly" just HAD to be our song.

Above is a snippet of the song performed by the top 2 contestants on American Idol this year. There are 3 reasons why I'm posting this particular performance:

1) The male contestant, Lee Dewyze, looks like he could be Brian's brother. Seriously. Even Brian's mom thinks so.

2) I'm a singer-songwriter/ guitarist just like the female contestant, Crystal Bowersox. She's one of my favorite contestants from all 9 seasons of the show.

3) I've been a fan of American Idol since it first aired in 2002. (I even auditioned once. And NO, my audition was not one of the awful ones that they televised!) Brian says he hates the show and yet every time I watch it he's in the background giving his two cents like he was a 5th judge or something.

4 comments:

  1. This song has to be the greatest song ever to win the Oscar for Best Song. Plus, their speeches were beautiful and Jon Stewart's bit afterwards is totally hilarious. Try youtube if you haven't seen it.

    My dirty little secret is I love awards shows.

    Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DID see Jon Stewart's comments! Very funny. Did you know that the 2 actors are dating in real life? Which is actually not surprising since (and I speak from experience) when you meet and play with a fellow musician who likes similar music as you, there's an immediate chemistry. Fireworks! Can't always act on it, but it's thrilling for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They *were* dating but not anymore, I'm pretty sure. I highly recommend the Frames' albums. I've been lucky enough to see them live a couple of times in my life and GH is exactly as powerful on stage as he is in the film. I forget how young Marketa really is until you see her up close.

    The new album GH and MI put out a couple of months ago is definitely worth getting.

    And yes, I know what you mean about musos and chemistry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, they're over? Too bad. :(

    My brother invited me to see the Frames perform when they came to New York a few years ago. (Marketa made a guest appearance, too!) It was SUCH an amazing show, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it given the fact that it was the first time I had heard most of those songs. That's says a lot about a band! What I love is how emotional and raw his songwriting and performing are. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Babbling about weddings is so much more fun when people babble back. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails